Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Lady Liberty, Enlightening the World


It was one of the prettiest days that I have seen so far on this trip, the sky was gorgeous, chilly but blue and The Statue of Liberty stood in all her glory with this incredible background.  Ahh... For those of you who know me, know that I am a "Red, White and Blue" kinda girl.  I cry at the National Anthem, yes, even when home alone, I say the Pledge of Allegiance 'out loud and proud', and I decorate with Flags, tastefully of course.. :D..  So, needless to say, this is a sight that brought tears to my eyes and a fullness of heart, so proud to be an American, I am.  

The line for the Statues Ferry was a long one, you needed to have tickets in advance, and if you want to go up in the crown (now you can), it is about, from what I hear, a years' wait list.  I was as happy as a clam just standing at her feet, I felt privileged just to be on the small island and hear from the fantastic Park Rangers about her 'life'.  Can you imagine, if she could talk?  The things that she has seen?  I bet she shed a tear on 9/ll, watching the events unfold across the Hudson.

We walked the perimeter and heard some amazing stories, had some hot cocoa, and hopped back on the boat to go to Ellis Island...

While traveling on the boat, I tried to imagine myself back in the time where I would have seen these sights for the first time, and how I might have felt, maybe fear, anxiousness at the sight of Ellis Island.  Once you were on the 'island' you were corralled into a large hall, they had you deposit your belongings.  Now, remember, you left the only home you knew, forever, or so you thought, so you would pack what was important.  An Irishwoman might have packed her favorite teapot, a Jewish family might pack a Mezuzah (a box placed on a door, a jewish blessing is placed inside), it could be photos, blankets, or special baptismal outfits that had been passed down for generations.  All packed in baskets, and old luggage.

You were then herded up steps, where Drs. watched you....if you looked healthy?  You went to the next area, you were closer to entering!  If you didn't?  You went to go on to have more 'tests', either physical, or psychological (this was if you looked "wide-eyed", heck, I look this way all the time :D).  Once past this you were 'home-free'....but maybe not your grandmother, she might have been sent back, alone.  If you were determined to be a 'detriment to society', or 'feeble' either in mind or body, you were sent back home, immediately.   There were many other tests, if you are interested, check it out on the website, very interesting!

Time to go back to NY, we decided to ride the train to Coney Island, the park wasn't opened, so we instead ate a hot dog at Nathans and walked the boardwalk.  We then were ready to go back to the hotel, it had been a long but fun day.  Tomorrow, another day, another adventure.

love to all

2 comments:

  1. Yay! I finally found your blog!! This post made me feel all my Flag waving, Anthem singing, hand over heart feelings come out. You definitely painted a picture for me. Can't wait to read what I've been missing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad I could take the virtual trip with you. Lady Liberty will always stand for what this country was is and was made of. Made of people from all over the world. Thanks Sis. As I said, I think of Ellis Island often when doing my genealogy.

    ReplyDelete