Sunday, April 17, 2011

Next Adventure? Sean's Birthday

Do you realize how hard it is to plan a pre-teens birthday?  When they are 1 year old...Yeah, We buy the HUGE cake, everyone dresses up and the child (boy or girl), cries....the whole time, we have over done the entire thing, but we don't care, it is for us.

When they are two, we of course go through the same ritual, this time though, they act 'shy', and will not speak, or communicate in any way....they bury their heads....so the parents, open the presents to be nice to all the guests, and the 'child', either tosses them (darn, right in front of you, 'I don't like this'), or kicks, screams and has a temper tantrum, is sent to his or her room, and you are all left eating cake and opening presents without them.

Three to Five?  They still have the temper tantrums BUT....They now understand presents?  WHOO HOO....The decor is now "themed"....She wants 'this', he wants 'this'...........yep.....you run around busting your 'tush', finding everything that fits the theme......time of party?  EVERYONE is overtired and there are 'minnie to major' meltdowns....lol

So, why do we continue?  For us, the parents/grandparents/godparents/aunts/uncles.....It is truly exhausting....Fun during..... you see that the kids (and people that tagged along with them) had a blast!  You realize that you 'had to do this, for them' (Chuck E Cheese, Bounce Houses, Roller Rinks, Ice Skating Rinks)....Plus, the ultimate? Guilt....."I never had a party like this".....guess what, we survived....

On to Sean....A few weeks ago, our conversation went like this....

"Sean, would you like to have  a party for your birthday?  You have a four day weekend, should be nice, maybe we could heat up the pool (unless it is freezing), and you could have some friends over.  You just need to pick a 'theme' ".....Sean, "ok, mom".

Two weeks before I must send out invitations, order cakes, and other party goodies....I ask Sean, "Well? Would you like me to set up the party?"  Sean  "No.."....Me  "Ok....why?".....Sean "Just don't want to".... Me  "Ok"....


Right....then I start losing sleep.."Why, AM I NOT A GOOD party giver?", "HAVE I embarrassed him with my Birthday Party Dance too many times?".....but, I am a good Mom.. I let it go for a few days....


Few days later?  "Sean, really?,You really? don't want to have your friends over for your birthday?"  Seans response, and my fear realized that I try too hard to be a "Martha Stewart Party Giver"
"Mom, you said I have to have a theme".....CRAP!  I did intimate that.....So I assured him, "No Sean, you don't have to have a theme".....  Have your friends over and just enjoy....But

In the back of my mind that One Year old Party, where I had full control, he was super happy with it all, until his meltdown.... will be one of my favorites.....Plus I danced like a fool....

Love you Sean, I know you are growing up, but in my mind you are that 'little person' that knew more then me......Happy Birthday!

So, no themes, just fun, but, may I just 'because'?  Throw in one dance, in my bedroom, so no one will see.....after all, I danced the day you were born...

love to all

4 comments:

  1. All of this is SO true! Unfortunately for me it's not just birthdays, I am crazy with all holidays too. What can I say I'm a perfectionist!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sean is getting so big, would love to see him, oh yeah and your dancing too.!! Love ya, Sis

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also am back on Blog

    ReplyDelete